permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is it me?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is it me?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:49:57 -0700 (PDT)

I certainly didn't like his condemnation of 3 billion
other humans for having an "urban" lifestyle. Had
Paul read the October 18 New Yorker article, he would
clearly have realized his experience in Dallas can not
be compared to Manhattan. His reference to the use of
the automobile in an Urban environment gave him away;
not fun or cheap in Manhattan. If NYC were a state,
the per capita energy consumption would make it number
51 on the list of consumers.

Clearly there is a tendency for others, not just Paul,
to associate the morning news shows with what NYC life
is about. Actual NYC life bears no resemblance to
these images on the television, yet we are judged by
them nevertheless. Real life involves your children
playing with the other children in the building and
neighborhood; there is always a birthday party.
Mid-town and Downtown have many very tall buildings,
yet the people live in between and around these office
buildings. Watch Sesame street for an image of what
many buildings really look like, plus mile after mile
of 6-10 story often brick buildings. If you visit,
you will either use the subway, or go get your car at
the 38th street tow pound; even when you are towed
from 218th street you still "pay" at 38th, then
retrieve back up at the 202nd street pound (25 mile
round trip, hopefully not in a cab). Leave your car
at home. Recyclables found in the garbage induce
fines. Not sweeping the sidewalk is an offense.
Water leaks have a hot line to report offenders. The
city seems to be using environmentally friendly code
enforcement as a means to raise revenue via fines.

Some sites:

http://www.1400on5th.com
http://www.thesolaire.com
http://www.greeninggotham.org/intro.php
http://www.cenyc.org
http://www.nyccompost.org

Before a person condemn urban living, they ought to
consider limiting human impact to those areas least
recoverable and then returning the less disturbed
rural and remote regions to the wilds. Humans are
social creatures and require healthy interaction
amongst themselves, so high density is more human
anyway. Please don't confuse the totalitarian
agriculture imposed on us with how people respond when
they realize they don't need to be saved. For those
who seek isolation, you may consider psychotherapy for
whatever trauma you suffered; this community doesn't
need you to lash out at us, we are here *for* each
other, not to condemn one another. It would be nice
if Paul sought the help we are not qualified to
provide in this community.

-Sean.