permaculture - [permaculture] West Coast Food Forestry

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] West Coast Food Forestry
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:51:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

The book that I have been working on for the last 5 years is now ready!
Here's my blurb:

Food Forests are multi-layered food gardens composed primarily of trees,
shrubs, and other perennials that are designed to imitate wild forests while
producing an abundance of food. West Coast Food Forestry: A Permaculture
Guide addresses the design and maintenance of food forests west of the
Cascades and Sierras, with special emphasis on the food plants that can be
grown here. This 136 page book includes:

- a discussion of bioregional issues relevant to food forestry on the North
American West Coast;

- an illustrated tour of existing food forests on the West Coast:

- fully illustrated plant profiles for 239 food plants showing the whole
plant, leaf, flower, and fruit for most species, with information on size,
environmental preferences, maintenance, flowering and fruiting times,
propagation, and more;

- charts showing when fruits and nuts are available for harvest;

- lists of plants for 36 characteristics relevant to design;

- plus a brief introduction to permaculture; and more.

If you are a West Coast gardener ready to turn your lawn into a food forest,
then this is the book for you!

Rain Tenaqiya has been studying permaculture since 1992 and has a BS in
ecology. He grew up near Portland, Oregon and has gardened from Bellingham,
Washington to Big Sur, California. He now lives in Ukiah, California, where
he is planning to create a permaculture apprenticeship program.

I am distributing my book on compact disc for US $13.50, postage paid (within
the US). Please send me a check or money order with your address and I will
mail a copy to you. My address is:
Rain Tenaqiya
1114A W Perkins St
Ukiah, CA 95482