permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rabbit bush & winter greens coldframe

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Elinor Jean <u3288545@anu.edu.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rabbit bush & winter greens coldframe
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:00:49 +1000

Hi Marilyn,

We do a similar thing with tomatoes, so as to plant them early before the frosts have stopped. We have a garden with rock retaining walls and we put old windows across the top of the plants, leaning on the rocks -- works a treat. But I should think that a ditch with rocks would be even better. Of course it might get colder where you are than here!

I have seen a system where someone was growing tomatoes and grapes down a trench, through winter. I think he may have had glass over the top, but I'm not sure.

We have just managed to get some passionfruit vines and citrus trees through winter by putting shade cloth over the top. It gets down to about -10 outside here --- in south-east Australia.

Another thing to try if you have animals (chooks or whatever) is to build a greenhouse attached to your chookshed or animal shed. I have heard about this, but we haven't worked out the mechanics of it quite yet. The idea is that the heat flows out of the animals and keeps the plants warm.

Cheers, Elinor