permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 18, Issue 23

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 18, Issue 23
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:35:24 -0700

Scott Pittman wrote:
I'm looking for information on a good wood chipper. Most of the ones I have experience are twig chippers - even tho' they advertise "up to 4" diameter branches". Something that I can ship to the third world and maybe duplicate there would be nice. I am looking for something that will take wood from pruning up to four inches without strain. I would love to be able to covert to bio diesel if such a model exists.

Procure a second hand chipper from a sawmill, smallest one available. They
use knives that would be easy to hand sharpen, in a jig.
Ususlly powered by a large 3 phase electric motor and used to chip slabs (hardwood and softwood) they could be used to convert landscaope waste up to and possibly beyond 4" to compostable biomass and/or mulch. Here's where biodiesel comes in; instead of using electric power just substitute a small diesel engine.

Both engines and chippers could probably be had inexpensively second hand from companies handling used sawmill equipment; tractor motors would be perfect for this application used directly, with transmission and through PTO power. If users of the chipper have a farm tractor they could connect PTO to the appropriate drive train which might include a gearbox orr system of pulleys to get the RPM necessary to get the chipper rotor up to operational speed and with adequate torque to not bog down with 4" material.

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net