permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: An Online Permaculture Knowledgebase

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: An Online Permaculture Knowledgebase
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:23:42 -0700

Brian LeMay wrote:

I may be crazy, but wouldn't regional Pc-like plant databases and
knowledgebases be better. I would like to see Pc databses for every

Yes. The Knowledgebase would be organized by geographic & climatic region,
biome and bioregion.

Plant info (all data fields for) would be crosslinked to all other
appropriate regions.

climactic region, (well, while we are dreaming, for every bioregion.) They
could be hosted by universities or non-profit ISPs. They could be used to

It _could be_ but it will be up to us to create and maintain this
knowledgebase - it could be
mirrored, co-hosted or distributed to other organizations and crosslinked
internally between
all participants runing the Knowledgebase in a Wiki; wikilinking and
hyperlinking (http/ftp) is used to accomplish this.

foster local networking of PC enthusiasts in the community. They could

Getting as many groups to form a network to build the knowkledgebase is the
preferred model but we will have to start the ball rolling
with ours which:
-- will be running on ibiblio
-- I will get it running and will maintain it
-- others can be co-administrators to help manage and share the workload
-- ultimately it will be public property always administered by volunteer administrators, always hosted by ibiblio (grant $$ could be given
to ibiblio to ensure its survival into the future)

provide info on local sources of plant material and plant knowledge. I

We organize into regional/local/bioregional groups to build our section of
the knowledgebase - of course, being wiki,
approved users can also contribute regardless of where they come from

envision them turning PC into the norm and not the exception. Yes, I'm
dreaming.

This dream can become reality.

Brian

Information is the critical potential resource. It becomes a resource only
when obtained and acted upon. - B. Mollison

Well said.

Text, graphics: videos, photos, drawings and blueprints, audio, wp documents,
spreadsheet files that are uploaded and added to the
knowledgebase could, with our collective or individual (if required) permissions, be freely used by PFAF & the Permaculture Plant Database for whatever purpose they choose.

Meikal mentioned the need for a CMS in our knowledgebase; TikiWiki offers one that may meet our needs. We _are_ talking about free, offtheshelf, opensource software, ready to go to work that can be instally and managed by folks with average if not amateur software skills.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net