permaculture - [permaculture] Re: RE:Re: Inside Zone Zero essays online

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lponeill@att.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: RE:Re: Inside Zone Zero essays online
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:51:06 +0000

Once I worked for a retail book company that leased space from a large
discount retail chain here in the United States. Prior to that, I had
managed a small independent book store (a breed that is rapidly becoming
extinct here in the States). The manager of the chain store asked me to
remove a book from the shelves because of complaints from a conservative
group. He asked, "Just curious, what did you do in this situation at your
former job?"

"Reorder three times more," I said.

People never seem to learn that by trying to shoot down ideas they end up
shooting themselves in the foot. It just fuels curiosity.

I am sorry about the loss of your friend. Now I'll go back and read her
essays.

Laurie

--
Laurie O'Neill

***********
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof;or abridging the freedom of speech, or
of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the government for a redress of grievances.
***********

> I've purposely ignored responding to Harold's condemnation of Lyx's
> writings for a number of reasons. Primary reason is that she died
> suddenly of pancreatic cancer in Feb of this year & I simply don't have
> the emotional wherewithal to take on defending the ideas of someone I
> worked closely with for more than 20 years. Then to see the note come
> thru the list a second time feels blatently crass & insensitive.
>
> I will say this much however; never in her life did Lyx think of
> herself as an eco-feminist or a pagan & in fact spent her life trying
> to defy the kind of mentalities that pigeon-hole & reduce ideas to
> generic misunderstanding. So the notion that posting her writings to
> the list was intended to convert permaculture list member to some kind
> of pagan spirituality is absolutely laughable, besides the fact that
> such a statement makes the assumption that listmembers are not
> intelligent enough to parse for themselves what is useful or not.
>
> mIEKAL
>

> On Saturday, July 3, 2004, at 09:05 AM, lponeill@att.net wrote:
>
> > I must say that I was surprised to see this response to Mikael's
> > posting of links to her writings repeated. Was this necessary? I found
> > its tone to be intolerant and condescending.
> >
> > In particular this part:
> > "Your suggestion that Permaculture zone zero is defined by
> > eco-feminist pagan spirituality is an attempt to:
> >
> > a) confuse people about what Permaculture design is and is not
> > b) convert members of this list to eco-feminist pagan spirituality
> > religion"
> >
> > Whatever your views are, I am willing to consider them, including
> > religious ones that pertain to permaculture. However, what I don't
> > need is for you or anyone else to protect me from ideas. I am speaking
> > for myself, but I believe that most of the people on this list are
> > intelligent and can choose for themselves what they would like to read
> > and what they would not.
> >
> > By the way, I glanced through these writings, but chose not to read
> > them in depth. If they offended you, you have the right to voice your
> > opinion, but you don't have the right to censor them for others.
> > Comment on them, but don't try to repress them. If you don't like it,
> > don't read it. If it bothers you, delete it.
> >
> > -- Laurie O'Neill

  • [permaculture] Re: RE:Re: Inside Zone Zero essays online, lponeill, 07/03/2004