permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rabbits in a PC system

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michelle" <homekeeper@clas.net>
  • To: "antonio scotti" <antonio.scotti@tiscali.es>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rabbits in a PC system
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:15:13 -0500

We garden intensively, so have paths between our beds. We made cages that
were long, and narrow, and put the rabbits (or chickens) in them, let them
eat the grass and weeds, fertilize the area, then move on to another. We
have also put them into a spent bed, ahead of the chickens, to eat what they
like, then the chickens scratch up the remains, and we move them on to
another spot. Has cut down on work for us, adds fertilizer. We scrape the
path ways and put into the beds before winter, and leave till spring.

You can also raise worms under the rabbit pens if you have pens, add the
worm castings to your garden, go fishing with the worms or sell them to
fishing buddies. Rabbit droppings do not burn the plants if added directly,
as chicken droppings do.

Michelle

Hi,
I'd need to integrate rabbits in a "simple" permaculture system containing a
veggie garden, a chicken pen (with chickens :-) ), schoolchildren
a few trees (acacias). What useful functions can rabbit have in such a
system? There is not much literature (that i know of at least) about rabbits
and their interactions-connections.

Of course children love taking care of rabbits.
Is rabbits manure useful for the compost heap?
Any experiences, anedcotes ....?
All the best

Antonio Scotti