permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Principles vs. techniques vs. data

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Loren Davidson" <listmail@lorendavidson.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Principles vs. techniques vs. data
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:08:28 -0700

From: Lisa MacIver <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

>As an engineer, and the daughter and wife of engineers, I don't find
>permaculture very like engineering. However, at one time I was
>involved with object-oriented software design, and that has parallels.

[nods] A former partner of mine, who is a computer programmer, pointed out
that design elements such as chickens very strongly resemble objects in a
programming environment - they have inputs, outputs, and characteristics, and
they can be defined in part by what they do with inputs in order to produce
outputs.

Actually, it's probably more accurate to say that object-oriented programming
very strongly resembles descriptions of real-world stuff by design. But it's
an analogy that does work, IMO.

>Not to change the subject, but this does I think bring up what I can't
>find, which is data, such as particular guilds that work well, and
>better records of the input and outputs of (for example) sheep, and
>(another example) on keeping poultry in orchards, what kind/stocking
>rate/tree variety/s/tree protection works (ducks in the orchard were
>not a sucess for me, though philosophically it sounded great). Are
>there resources with this type of information?

Well, there are two answers to this sort of question.

First of all, Permaculture principles would indicate that the best way to
develop this data is by careful and protracted observation, i.e. try some
stuff out and see how it works. I think there's a lot to be gained by getting
good at this, but it takes a lot longer to get something working that way at
times. You've learned one way to not do ducks in an orchard, for example, and
you might want to explore *why* it didn't work for you and how it might be
made to work.

At the same time, there *is* information in a number of places about some
possible guild associations, information on raising animals, etc. One good
resource is Toby Hemenway's book, "Gaia's Garden." He provides a fairly good
description of a couple of guilds that he's worked out, along with the
methodology by which he did so.

I've also used books that are essentially encyclopedias of plants native to a
given area - I don't have titles handy, but there are some good ones for
California, which has some climate zones in common with Ashland. And there
are resources online for plant lists for specific plant communities, such as
blue oak woodland, etc. Try a Google search.

Build soil,

Loren

$0 Bannerless Web Hosting, 10 POP and Web Email Accounts, & more
Get It Now At www.doteasy.com

  • Re: [permaculture] Principles vs. techniques vs. data, Loren Davidson, 04/20/2004