permaculture - [permaculture] Fodder trees or invasive weeds?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fodder trees or invasive weeds?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:48:23 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know much about tagasaste (except that I thought Ashland is too cold
for it), but I've never heard of autumn olive being a weed. It's cousin,
Russian olive, is a dryland species that has become invasive east of the
Cascades, but I don't know of any other Elaeagnus with this trait. As far as
Pawlonia goes, I'd be very surprised if it was able to reproduce with our dry
Summers, except possibly along waterways. And if you want to know about
black locusts fixing nitrogen, just look at their roots: mine are covered in
nodules.

Rain

Message: 2