permaculture - [permaculture] Re: inner-city organics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Ferree <seldom.seen@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: inner-city organics
  • Date: 31 Mar 2004 14:07:30 -0600

the US NOP guidelines are 25 feet separating conventional/organic
operations. so long as the conventional fields don't drain across the
organic. the guidelines are open to interpretation by both certifier
and producer, but i don't see much difference between 2-4-D and roundup
drift and other industrial pollutants (except duration of exposure &
possible soil contamination). what are the industries most likely to be
the source of pollution & what are the airborne contaminants they're
releasing?

if the nearby traffic is mostly diesel, there could be a problem. (most
diesel fuel is still leaded, right?) but a test for soilborne heavy
metals will be more conclusive.

check out the NOP guidelines. . .google national organic program

if you have a greenhouse within a cities' inversion layer (summer only
in SE US) you could see amplified effects of airborne contamination. . .
ie ozone damage on plants.

hope this helps
john