permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Chicken forage plant lists (PNW-Coastal)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lisa MacIver <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Chicken forage plant lists (PNW-Coastal)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:45:27 -0800 (PST)

I'm planting a fenced area between pastures in chicken and goat
forage right now. (zone 7, dry southern oregon). I'm planting:
- Honey locust (pods are high protien and tree is nitrogen fixing)
- Mulberry (fruit is relatively high protien)
- rosa rugosa
- borage (self-reseeds freely)
- comfrey (limited portion of diet)
- dandelions
- purslane

Some of these can be invasive, but we do have goats to handle that
problem. Bamboo was too invasive, as are wild blackberries which we
have plenty of already.
I'd plant a grape (which do well climbing up mulberries) but the
soil's too heavy. Note sunflowers are alleopathic to other plants.
Haven't looked into jerusalem artichokes but they have edible top
growth (though not terribly nutritious) and should be perennial if
you don't dig roots. There are some perennial kales I saw somewhere.
Calendula is acting perennial here (it's been flowering all winter),
and certainly self-sows freely, and since the flowers are edible I
assume it would be good for chickens.

HTH
Lisa in Ashland Oregon