permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pattern magic: Ekman spirals from space

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pattern magic: Ekman spirals from space
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:19:49 -0800

A bit of nomenclatural clarity: The phenomenon that Mollison in the Designer's Manual calls an Ekman spiral, the spiraling of wind when it hits a barrier, is not an Ekman spiral. I have not been able to find a name for that effect.

Ekman spirals refer very specifically to an effect of the Coriolis force on ocean currents. Wind and the earth's spin cause ocean currents to be displaced in a downward clockwise spiral (in the Northern Hemisphere; counter-clockwise down under). Refs at
http://www.gfdl.gov/~a1g/Ekman_spiral.html
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~aecl410/wavecurr/sld004.htm
or just Google "ekman spiral"

Nice patterns, Loren. Ripples, some shear from two moving air masses, and some kind of swirling wake that's on its way toward being a von Karman vortex street.

Toby
http://www.patternliteracy.com