permaculture - [permaculture] directory

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Kramer" <MKramer@hawaii.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] directory
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:15:25 -1000

The La'akea Permaculture Gardens website (www.permaculture-hawaii.com) also
has a Global Permaculture Database where people can enter their own courses,
search by instructor, etc. It's pretty sophisticated and self-maintaining,
was designed by Mark Olson. I see Greg chiming in (hi Greg!, and he's been
trying to build up www.permaculture.net as a clearinghouse site for many
years and we've yet to utilize this resource as a movement. It seems to me
that there's a great opportunity here to get the great minds together to
create the definitive directory website, and much more...

As many of you know from my article last year in the Activist, I'd like to
see a more coordinated effort in our community. We could be so much more
effective if we planned things together. I realize that geographic distance
is part of the problem, but still there's too much operating in a vacuum.
People do great work locally, and perhaps we need to look at zones 3-5 now.
I'd like to recommend again that we consider holding a North American
Permaculture Convergence to look at the infrastructure needs of the
permaculture movement. There's plenty of strategic planning to be done:
creating a continental pc organization (with high-profile Board), curriculum
development and publishing, targeted design courses for specific professional
audiences, media pr, conferences, teacher certification, venture
capital/business incubators, public demonstration sites and tours,
grantmaking programs, a national pc barter network and chamber of commerce
(like the Coop America Green Pages), bookwriting, publications, municipal and
regional sustainability indicators policy initiatives, development of a
permaculture legislative caucus and political platform development, a
national pc radio program, academic programs, and a coordinated clearinghouse
website of all regional guilds, teachers, courses, etc.

Organizing is hard work, but it could create the change we wish to see in the
world.

-----
Michael Kramer
Natural Investment Services
P.O. Box 390595
Keauhou, HI 96739

www.NaturalInvesting.com
888-779-1500

  • [permaculture] directory, Michael Kramer, 01/31/2004