permaculture - Re: [permaculture] septic tank

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "genest@pivot.net" <genest@pivot.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] septic tank
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:40:24 -0500

The very same design of my greywater system ( see my site
www.greenmountainpermaculture.com) was recently made legal to serve for
blackwater
purification here in Quebec....

Quite simply: the grey/blackwater would go from the house into a septic
tank for scum/solids
to settle..from there the water would travel to a lined pond say 25x15
feet for a family of five (
use the best /thickest liner it must not leak !!) about 24-27 inches deep (
about the depth of
cattail roots) filled with stone ( I used road grade which is quite sandy
and cheap) and planted
into with cattails and reeds....from there the nutrient rich waters could
go to nourish your nut
and timber species.....

the level of the standing water must be a good five inches below the top
layer of stone...water
must never see the light of day...no open water !

Piece of cake Amigo !

Claude

P.S. you might want to consider a new tank from the sounds of it ? It's
not what goes into the
tank that's a problem but what comes out into the old leach field ( which
in time get played
out, as was the case at my place)