permaculture - Re: [permaculture] septic tank

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "THEDRINGS@telefonica.net" <THEDRINGS@telefonica.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] septic tank
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:44:44 +0100

Dear all
Can anyone advise on an appropriate system for black water treatment.
We have a farm house in southern Spain currently served by 2 old,
small, single chamber septic tanks. I haven't had a close look at them
but suspect that they are not up to the volume of traffic provided by a
family of 5 and guests in two holiday apartments we are constructing
above our house.
While our plan is to build 2 straw bale buildings with composting
toilets in the future, we feel that our current house (and hoilday
accommodation) would better be served by a septic tank which could
accept toilet paper and from which clean enough water can pass onto the
land - although we are not short of water for irrigation.
What systems exisit to best meet our needs?
Many thanks.
Dominic Dring

Tel: 0034 952 15 32 92