permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Access road run-off control strategies.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Access road run-off control strategies.
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:14:24 -0700

I've been w/o power for a week... chopping broken trees up and taking stock
of the damage...

> From: "Antonio Scotti" <antonio.scotti@tiscali.es>

> Unfortunately this won't be possible since I've got a cliff on one side of
> the road and a steep slope up hill
> on the other.

and sand on the road? What's the geology? pleistocene beach terrace or
something? How about you run the water from water bars off the cliff side
into brush fascines staked slightly off contour. As you peg the fascines in
and then walk along tho top side you'll create a slight terrace. Live
cutting and small plants just below the brush bundles ought to grow OK and
become the "terrace" wall as the fascine decomposes.
Make the fascine bundles by setting up a line of coppice wood tripods to
hold the brush at working height while you tie it up.

Good way to use large amounts of small diameter woody material. Too bad
you're not here! I've a sudden huge abundance of branches due to days of
rain followed by 15 cm. of heavy, wet snow. It brought down a mana oak tree,
4 foot diameter bigleaf maples, almost every Cascara buckthorn, and the
timber company below us is going to fill 4 or 5 trucks from what looked like
a jackstraw pile of Douglas fir along a couple hundred feet of damp hollow.
time to plant!

-Rick

  • Re: [permaculture] Access road run-off control strategies., Rick Valley, 01/04/2004