permaculture - [permaculture] enlightened companies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Kramer" <MKramer@hawaii.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] enlightened companies
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:46:12 -1000

Chuck confirms what many of us know, which is that social investing is
imperfect. Indeed, the Domini Index of 400 companies he refers to is based
on the S&P 500. Amy Domini took those companies, applied the screens of
major polluters, sweatshops, companies that do business in repressive
regimes, oil, military contractors, tobacco, alcohol, gambling, nuclear
power, companies that test their products on animals, and immediateloy 250
companies were dismissed. She then added an additional 150 "better"
companies that passed the screens and are also invested in more enlightened
technologies and health food. So, strange as it may seem, Coca-Cola gets in,
as there isn't a screen for nutrition. But at least there are a lot of
terrific screens. I have clients who don't think the SRI mutual funds go
far enough, though, so I put them in companies and industries they wish to
support. In this field, you can invest in anything you wish, and if hydrogen
is it, then I'm happy to make that happen. Someday there will be additional
screens, perhaps, but this is where the state of the industry is, and I'm
happy that some form of ethical considerations are applied to investments.
It's not as radical as I or many would like, but we're on the path, $2.3
trillion and growing. But make no mistake, the corporate world is taking
note, which is why McDonalds no longer uses styrofoam, why Nike has launched
an organic cotton clothing line, and why Dupont now makes plastic containers
out of vegetable oil. The writing is on the wall, as they are realizing that
a sustainable economic future is only possible by using regenerative
resources. But it takes our investment to help them make the technology
transfer, so we must stay engaged in the stock market and keep the pressure
on; we can't look the other way and hope for the better. Permaculture as a
movement is not taking on the mainstream; we're still outsiders, and my
intention is to get right in there and influence the power systems that
control our society. So I'm grateful for Domini and many of those mutual
funds for turning up the heat on the economic system, and for investing in
more sustainable products, because it's working - Safeway now carries
organic produce! Home Depot won't sell products from old growth timber.
Wal-Mart got booted out of the SRI funds for its unwillingness to face its
sweatshops. This is all a step in the right direction. We can all still buy
local in so many ways, but since most of us purchase products made by
corporations, we are investing in them anyway, so it's important to be
conscious about what we choose to support with our dollars and try to
influence the way in which the corporate economy works. Remember, we all
don't live in Zone 1 or 2, we pay taxes and buy from corporations too, so we
can participate in the redesign of these systems as well.
-----
Michael Kramer
Natural Investment Services
P.O. Box 390595
Keauhou, HI 96739

www.NaturalInvesting.com
888-779-1500

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."