permaculture - [permaculture] Rain water safe to drink in ureban areas?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Antonio Scotti" <antonio.scotti@tiscali.es>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Rain water safe to drink in ureban areas?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:41:26 +0100

Hi,
I often read about rain water being the safest source of drinkable water now available
in comparison with municipal water, treated as we all know with many chemicals, clorine
being the number 1 used.
I wander whether rain water collected in urban and/or periurban areas is really a safe option
to consider, taking into account that the area around big urban centers IS quite polluted.
Any experiences/data available in this respect?

Also I have heard that after one hour raining the remaining collected water can be consiered safe to drink.
Is that true?

What strategies/devices can be used in order to separate this "first hour" of rainfall from the supposedly good one?

Cheers
Antonio