permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sheeps management

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mike Barnett" <dreadlox@cwjamaica.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sheeps management
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:36:02 -0600

I recently did a proposal with a school in an arid zone's greywater system
outlet hooked up to some growbeds, growing fast growing grasses, and
plants.This "hydroponic" fodder, is used for achieving a zero grazing
system.
The outlet from the urinal was sent to a urine batching, mixing and
sterilising tank where it is automatically mixed with rainwater, to a
particular ratio before being discharged underground to the hedge plants, as
well as special grazing areas.
The idea is to show kids from that area, that a zero-grazing principle can
work, plus it helps, to keep the goats/sheep nearer to "home". (lessens loss
to wild dogs and thieves). Plus the children will be taught on a day to day
basis about the care of these animals, so it is necessary that they be held
close to the school building.
The animals are held in a raised building, with a slotted floor, where the
feces fall to the ground, and are used in the schools garden and composting
program.

I too had to search the web and got some support especially from the goat
people on the web.
I recommend you contact the Goat/Sheep Breeders Association in your
country, which has a rare race or two for itself, so they will have
Associations trying to keep this bloodline alive. Who to tell they may even
donate sheep or goats for a promotion??

I too have never done some project liek this before, ( greywater and
blackwater yes..Growbeds yes . goats...no)
I would also be interested in hearing of anything like this being done
elsewhere in the world...

Look at http://www.agroinfo.org/caribbean/iicacarc/jamaica/mochonew.htm for
an idea of a system that works here in Jamaica.

Mike Barnett
Eco-designer
JAMAICA