permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sheeps management [electric fencing]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Wordgarden" <wordgarden@iinet.net.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: darren@permaculture.biz
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sheeps management [electric fencing]
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:46:46 +0800

Hello Darren,

> Cell grazing using portable electric fencing allows "pulse" grazing of pastures down to 2 - 4" then move the mob into the next strip.

We just bought 15 sheep to keep the grass (and fire risk) down on the approx. 40 acres of pasture on our property. I have been thinking of electric fencing and 'cell grazing' that you mention but wonder how effective electric fencing is with sheep (all that wool makes them seem quite well insulated).

If you have any pointers you could pass on from your experience with sheep-electric fence design (e.g. wire spacings, etc.) I would be extremely grateful.

cheers,
Robert