permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: food irradiation]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: food irradiation]
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 06:49:09 EST

I really hope American citizens will stand up against the low price-
low quality US food production.
Like Hormones in beef, irradiated food is not allowed for sale in
Europe,  both because of safetyreasons for the consumer.
GM products are also not allowed until no-harme is proven.
The biggest difference between the EU and US is that people in the
EU are more important while in the US the Businesses are.

There is a potential for problems with GM foods. There is a demonstrable problem with growth hormones in meat, not to mention antibiotics. But exactly what is the problem with irradiation?

It does not affect the food. It kills pathogens. You may argue that we don't need this step, because the number of Americans killed every year by food poisoning is only in the low thousands. But we are very particular about our food, so the producers will frequently add this step. To be afraid of radiation is to demonstrate you don't really know what the process does-- there's no way your unborn children will be two-headed monsters because the meat has been sanitized. That's like saying you will be sterile if you cook your food in boiling water.

When in doubt, look up the science on the subject.

M. Elvin