permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cooking with Liquorice Root

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cooking with Liquorice Root
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:27:54 -0500

Others may already know about this, but it's new to me. regarding
walking onions, a/k/a Egyptian onions, generally you grow and eat them
as green onions. but about 6 weeks ago i thinned my bunches by simply
pulling up some of the stalks, including the small bulb in the
ground.. i have let them cure since then, and tonight i chopped a
couple up to make a sauce. they were very tasty, and seem to be
keeping just fine. one of them was a bit of a pain to peel, i don't
know if i would want to use them for a dinner for 100, but for our
household two were fine for the sauce. kind of shallot-like in the
size of the onion bulb.

The stalk itself dried into a fairly firm tube. would probably be good
for autumn decorations.

Now that i know this works, i will probably thin much more extensively
next summer.

Robert Waldrop, okc