permaculture - Re: [RE: [permaculture] Money from Gates]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [RE: [permaculture] Money from Gates]
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:10:43 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

I reckon we all draw our own ethical lines in this area, and I think that's
fine. For me it depends on how the money is generated. There are some means
of generating money that I personally don't want to support, and in some cases
I find that taking that money at all means, to me, supporting that means of
generating it.

In some cases it would be about strings attached. If the money source
wants/gets PR, advertising, publicity etc. for themselves as a condition of
supplying the money and I don't want to give them that in return, then I
wouldn't use their money.

I usually return to this:
"How we do what we do is who we are becoming."
and
"For whom, when?"

The how is always more important than the what, and that includes how money is
generated. Nothing is without consequences. Context is everything.

Hi ho,
John S.

> Hi Graham,
> I don't know.... seems like it would go towards caring for earth and
> people
> and as long as you get a little extra to share, I think it is a marvellous
> idea.
>
> Selwyn
>

> >So how permacultural (ie, Earthright, sustainable) is it to ask for or
> >expect money from the likes of gates, Shell, McDonalds, the Lottery, etc,
> >anyway?
> >
> >ducking and covering, Graham

- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing