permaculture - [permaculture] Re: ((((guild))((design))((application))))

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Plants For A Future <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: ((((guild))((design))((application))))
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:15:16 +0100 (BST)

> From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
> Subject: [permaculture] ((((guild))((design))((application))))
>
> hello permiepeoples,
>
> my name is stephanie, and I am interested in developing somewhat of a
> guild database with a guild design application. I have discussed my idea
> with Kirby Fry of Cross Timbers and Scott Pittman of the Permaculture
> Institute, who have both commended the idea and suggested that I describe
> it to you alls. So, I am writing to briefly discuss my intentions, and
> garner interest and support.
>
> Basically, I intend to build a sophisticated guild design tool, which
> will guide users in designing a customized guild for their local region,
> while providing abundant information on guild components, phenomenology,
> symbiosis, and other such related issues. This information will be
> presented in the form of established research and case studies, and
> through different media including text, images, and perhaps others. The
> knowledge base will ultimately be developed by *us*, the Permaculture
> community. I would like to both visit practicing Permaculturists with
> developed and/or developing guilds, and gather information from our on-
> line networks. I already have very specific ideas for the informational
> architecture of this tool, but have not elaborated here for purposes of
> brevity.
>
> I am currently in the process of seeking funding for this project, and
> welcome any suggestions! If you are interested in participating in this
> project-- whether as a 'subject matter expert' (knowledgeable about guild
> design), or simply to offer advice, criticisms, words of wisdom-- please
> respond. ***I particularly solicit guild designers from throughout North
> America to participate in this project*** I am glad to provide a more
> detailed description of the plan upon request. And, of course, this
> project is willing to co-evolve with your input! I hope to hear back.

Sounds like a great idea which a few of us have been talking
about before. A mailing list
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/pcplantdb
has been set up specifically for these discussions.

I'd love to hear about the details of your design and you
might like to post either to the above mailing list
or directly to me. I've quite a few ideas myself on this
subject so expect robust comments!

The plants for a future database is now avaliable under
a creative commons licences (attribution required,
non-commercial, copyleft/share-alike).
This has been done specifically
for projects like yours, but the licences conditions
are quite specific. Email me for details of how to
get this version.

BTW the latest release of the PFAF database is now
out. 7400 plants, a new rating for medicinal use
and also a a collection of 400 photos. See
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/D_obtain.html
for details.

I'm currently putting a funding bid together
for myself for work on the PFAF database and website,
there is a chance that we might be able to combine
things there.

ANyway, good luck with the project.

Rich

p.s. Does the title ((((guild))((design))((application))))
sugest that it will be done in Lisp!

--
Plants For a Future http://www.pfaf.org

  • [permaculture] Re: ((((guild))((design))((application)))), Plants For A Future, 09/21/2003