permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Viridian Principles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Viridian Principles
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

Some interesting stuff here. I like the 'planned evanescence'...

They contradict themselves, though:

> Platonic visions of absolute reality, and Christian visions of eternity,
> are very unhealthy for bipedal mammals in a biosphere.

and

> Don't mistake mystic wish-fulfillment and the promptings of your
> unconscious for objective evidence.

So they don't want absolute reality (or at least not someone else's...;-),
but they do want objective evidence. Good luck!

> Activism is an attention hog, and very time and energy intensive. A
> better approach is to find the things you are doing that intensify the
> problem, and just cease doing them.

Along with increasing the doing of that which creates what you do want.

>...the living world was not designed by a teleological, rationalist,
>reductionist process. The living world grew irrationally through
>non-systematic, genetic exploration of niche possibilities, pruned back by
>natural selection and occasional massive disasters. So if you're building
>distributed networks, learn from crabgrass.

A good metaphor and model for growth and evolution of Permaculture.

This would be my 'very short version' response to Michael Kramer's recent
"Challenge to the Movement" essay in Permaculture Activist magazine.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration