permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sacramento Protests

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sacramento Protests
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:14:11 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> I mean, come on, a topless woman and a naked man -- smeared with mud and
> seeds -- romping through the downtown streets as representatives of
> Mother Earth... Do they WANT people to think they're crazy idiots?

That sounds like fun! Or like the Fremont Solstice parade in Seattle... :-)

I'm not at all concerned about non-violent 'crazy wildness'. Might help
to lighten people up.

It's the people instigating violence that concern me. IMO they're the
ones who...

> Half the effort put into
> conservation is ruined by people like that.

...but I'd say more than half is at risk.

The same small handful of vandals instigating violence in Sacto have
helped media people to rewrite history where the 1999 WTO demonstrations
are concerned. The whole week-long event is now commonly referred to as
'violent', and police (and even Sacto protest organizers!) live the myth
of the 'battle in Seattle'. An AP story I saw a day or two ago out of
Sacto refers to Seattle 1999 this way: "...where tens of thousands
smashed windows and vandalized cars." So this is the sort of nonsense
that will also be made of Sacto...

Anyone who is/was/will be in Sacto, *please* file eyewitness reports with
as many alt/indy media organizations as you can; document whatever you
can, especially video (be clever, be smart - cameras were (illegally)
confiscated in Seattle); these will be essential resources in countering
the inevitable disinformation and distortions from corporate media
sources.

> As for the garden, "officials said soil tests showed elevated levels of
> lead, DDT and cancer-causing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

What a great test site for bioremediation efforts!

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration