permaculture - [permaculture] Rooftop gardening

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: BK <lildragon@saber.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Rooftop gardening
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 21:31:40 -0700

Hey folks,

I've been thinking about how one might set up a rooftop garden on a roof
that isn't designed to bear the weight of a 1/2 cubic foot of soil per sq.
foot. So I've been thinking of light mixtures to grow plants in. Probably
peat moss or coir with a hardware mesh below the container to shed water
weight quickly in a rain. My main question is: what kinds of
vegetables/edible plants would grow in such an enviroment? Note that added
factors would include bright sun and a good deal of wind, with the potential
to add features to the containers to limit those factors (shadecloth,
barriers, etc). Perhaps potatoes could do well in such a light cushy
environment? Any vining veges? Might there be a means to add some organic
nutrient to the mixture that wouldn't leach out rapidly in rains?

Comments, ideas, suggestions, designs, etc, greatly loved.

Cheers,
Bear