permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: more goats in cities

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: more goats in cities
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 22:33:59 +0100

Hello Martha and all!

Martha, this is superb info! Just the kind of stuff I am looking for.
Keep 'em coming!
I shall pursue the contacts you gave.
If anyone else knows of examples like this please let me know. I hope to
apply for funding to study some of these examples in 2004 'on location'
so to speak, hopefully in order to contribute to problem-solving in the
karstic Burren area in the West of Ireland where I live.

All the best.
Ute

MARTHA ANNE BOYD wrote:

> HI all -
> I went to Beyond Pesticides conference in Austin TX last weekend -
> presentation by Lani Malmberg of "Ewe4ic Ecological Services" - she
> contracts out her 1000 head of Cashmere goats to eat weeds throughout the
> West. Travels with them, doesn't put them in any kind of barn, doesn't
> feed them other than what they graze. They use a flexible mesh electric
> fence to protect desired plants and contain the goats (more to keep out
> dogs). They've worked in Denver, Boulder, Vail, CO Springs, Jackson Hole,
> Grand Teton National Park, and are proposing a big project in Owens Valley
> CA (in't that the valley the LA metropolitan water district destroyed?)
>
> Her goats have pretty much eaten it all - thistles, leafy spurge, reed
> canary grass, cholla, bindweed, poison hemlock, salt cedar - in combo with
> revegetation projects. She views goats as self-propelled weeder -
> fertilizer - irrigation - organic matter recycling machines. Her philosophy
> is to improve the competitive advantage of whatever plants a land manager
> sets as goals and to resist chasing symptoms.
>
> I didn't know that because of the way goats chew, they crush most seeds -
> some skeptics in a community garden tried sprouting goat-doo soil from a
> leafy spurge field and found a 0.02% germination rate.
>
> For more info contact Lani at ewe4icbenz@aol.com
> Also www.goatapelli.com
>
> Martha

Break the mould - commit random acts of kindness.

Dipl.-Ing. TU Landschafts- und Freiraumplanung
Ute Bohnsack
Sailchearnach, Clogher, Kilfenora, Co. Clare, Ireland
mailto:sustag@eircom.net
Agri-Environmental Consultancy and Translation Services
(English-German-English)
http://homepage.eircom.net/~merlyn/index.html
~~~~~~~~~
Seedsavers Resources http://homepage.eircom.net/~merlyn/seedsaving.html