permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Mechanical vs Animal Traction?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dominic1404@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Mechanical vs Animal Traction?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:50:30 EST

We are about to move onto a 5 acre smallholding in Southern Spain. The land
is gently sloping (almost flat) river plain. We intend to market garden veg
and have a few livestock. This is a major life change for us and, as part of
the 'total package' I have been thinking to use animal traction to prepare
the land - I was thinking of acquiring a mule. Can I have some advise on the
pros and cons. The existing farmer has a 20 year old walk behind tractor
which he is offering to sell for 1,800 euros. Seems very expensive? What
should I do?
Thanks
Dominic