permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Growing Useful Objects

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Growing Useful Objects
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:11:00 -0800

Sharon Gordon wrote:

In designing for long term needs, I am interested in hearing from people who
are expanding
more beyond a focus on food and cooking/heating fuel. To me, those essential
needs are an
ideal place to begin, and then there are so many other interesting
possibilites to include.

Corn for your cornburner (Hope everyone saw the great news about a neighborhood in Maryland getting their first corn silo filling station for all the people who have cornburner stoves in the area.)

Somehow I cringe at the thought of doing anything with corn other than
eating it or feeding it to livestock.

1) Build an energy efficient (superinsulated/super energy efficient)
home with access to plenty of solar gain, in season.

2) Feed the corn to livestock (goats, sheep, cattle, chickens, turkeys,
rabbits)
and use their manure to make biogas to use in heating your home (so little
would be required
if that home was properly insulated), cooking and heating domestic hot water.

Fiber for baskets

Bamboo, willow, oak.

Great question, Sharon.

Other useful items

Rocks: landscape and building construction

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net