permaculture - [permaculture] Growing Useful Objects

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "Permaculture Listserv" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Growing Useful Objects
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:54:29 -0500

In designing for long term needs,  I am interested in hearing from people who are expanding more beyond a focus on food and cooking/heating fuel.  To me, those essential needs are an ideal place to begin, and then there are so many other interesting possibilites to include.

Anyone working on growing

Writing paper
Herbs to cover 90% of medical needs
Additives for soap
Toilet paper
Fiber and dye plants for clothes or household linens
Wood for a spinning wheel or loom
Wood for your children's furniture for their house (or wood for timber framing for the house)
Ingredients for paint or wood finishing
Dental floss
Sandal making fiber
Corn for your cornburner (Hope everyone saw the great news about a neighborhood in Maryland getting their first corn silo filling station for all the people who have cornburner stoves in the area.)
Fuels to use in cars
Oil for soap making
Fiber for nets or rope
Wood or fiber for kids' toys (of any age :-) )
Wood for a boat
Fiber for baskets
Other useful items

Sharon