permaculture - Re: [permaculture] For the survival thread...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] For the survival thread...
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:06:04 -0800

At 03:50 PM 10/31/02 -0600, Mark wrote:
At 02:14 PM 10/31/02 -0500, you wrote:
The awareness training is so useful in that it develops one's ability to
understand the landscape, observing and knowing what is there and what the
land wants to be. So much of this is brushed over in the Permaculture
design courses, or misinterpreted as an analytical exercise. To me,
earthskills and caretaking in particular are what you do in zone 5.
Mollison says not to do anything there except learn; well, if you are one
with zone 5 then there's pleanty you can do there. The great observations
and illuminations come from zone 5; it is there that you can learn to be at
home.

At the risk of offending, this kind of quasi mystical stuff not only does very little to inspire me, if I was one of the many deeply religious people I have met through the years at organic farming functions I would likely find it out right offensive.

*I* am deeply religious, and I find what you have quoted above to be entirely in harmony with my spiritual beliefs and values. Granted, my spiritual beliefs and values are much closer to those of the Native Americans than the Baptists...but that does not make them any less spiritual, nor my orientation any less religious.

There is certainly no end to things in Permaculture that various parties find offensive. There is no end to things that other people believe that many Permaculturists may find offensive. Mark, I deeply respect whatever you happen to find inspiring, and merely request that you offer me the same respect for what *I* find inspiring. If it works in creating healthy designs and systems, what matters it otherwise?

Isn't diversity one of the hallmarks of a healthy ecological system? :)

Happy Halloween/Samhain,

Loren

Loren Davidson Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"There is no key to the Universe. It was never locked." - www.nancybuttons.com