permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge]Very small dairy....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge]Very small dairy....
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:10:03 -0600

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:57:32 +0000
From: ojalafarm <ojala@nb.net>
Subject: [grazersedge] Re: building a barn
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

Dear Benjamin,
One thing you may really want to consider is your market and where
you can sell your milk and how that will effect everything you do...
I'm still fascinated by Blue Ridge Mountain Dairy, in Lovettsville,
VA. We heard about it at a Farmstead Processing Seminar. He markets
all his milk as cheese in a Washington D.C. farmer's market. At the
time we heard him speak he sold all his cheese in the morning, before
the market was even officially open. He had that great of a demand
for his cheese. --- He milks only 3 (Six now, I was told) cows.
His total investment, cows, equipment, barn, etc...was $60,000, he
grosses over $80,000 yearly. He milks and grazes his cows on his
12.5 acres in the suburbs. His barn is an "Amish shed ", like a lot
of people around here keep their lawn mowers in. He cools his milk
by pouring it over ice packs and turns it into cheese daily. He
milks in a two stall flat parlor with a bucket milker. Somehow he has
done things very differently than most of us farmers and is making a
living doing it! So why do I make less money milking 20 times as
many cows!?

Dave Rice
Blair County PA
In grazersedge@y..., dairyfarmns4me@a... wrote:
> If I worked for a dairy farmer for about 4 or 5 years and was able
to build
> up a herd with a small line of equipment and decided to stay here
in Texas,
> but was unable to find a prefered size farm for sale or rent that I
liked,
> could I use my cows to get a loan to purhcase an area of land that
had a few
> barns and a house on it along with getting a loan to build a dairy
barn? I
> hear that swing parlors can be built for cheap, but a flat barn may
be
> cheaper than a swing parlor. I'm not sure. If anyone would have any
> information or suggestions, please feel free to say so. Thanks for
your time.
> Take care, Benjamin
Meyer

Sell a Home for Top $