permaculture - [permaculture] humas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] humas
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:31:28 -0600

The underlying premise of Lemieux's work is that all fertile soil comes
originally from climax hardwood forests and that without renewal of climax
hardwood breakdown products this soil will eventually become exhausted.

I'll put our midwestern grassland prairie soils (or pampas soils in SA) up against the best of the forest soils. I'll grow just as good a crop but won't have to pull stumps to do it ;<)
Furthermore I'll take burned out farm land and graze it for 10 years and get similar results to 100 years of reforestation, plus I get to eat beef. Dogmatism is a barrier to progress, I'd advise folks not to get sucked in by nonsense like only forests making humates.
Mark

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison