permaculture - Re: [permaculture] subsistence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] subsistence
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:45:53 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> The Manual & Intro to PC books make no mention of subsistance
> farming that I can find, and the only reference in our PDC was
> explaining that permaculture is much more than a subsistance level
> because of the broader community design elements and the alternative
> economics.

Interesting cultural biases emerging here, IMO. What does each of you
think of when you say "subsistence," what pictures and thoughts form in
your minds? Why and how do your ideas of "subsistence" exclude
community design elements and alternative economics?

What a hoot! Chunks of PC design are IMO based on clever community
design elements and "alternative" economics drawn from what some might
call "subsistence" cultures...

=====
John Schinnerer, MA