permaculture - Re: Guardian article on Lomborg

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Guardian article on Lomborg
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:07:34 -0500

Seems that Lomborg's book is an expression of the general public's having
had enought with ( what they perceive to be) environmental doomsaying.

I agree that throwing stats/facts back and forth doesn't get very far - but,
and maybe this harkens back to the thread on the relative utility of
scientific enquiry, it seeems like it's the only language we've got.

I just find it so frustrating: What I want to talk about with people
(mom/dad brother/friends) is Permaculture.
But I can't do that till I define our "other way of seeing".
And I can't do that till I convince people that it's worth taking the time
to consider an ecological perspective, and I can't do that till I convince
them that something's broken and needs fixing, and I can't do that till I
wade through their objections which include things like
"you're too negative and seeing the glass as half empty - stats/facts reveal
that things aren't getting worse, they're getting better !"

I guess this Lomborg stuff is a little like the Canadian in Alberta a few
years back who made headlines saying that the Holocaust had never happened.
What can you say to that ? "yes it did" ?!

As Thomas Pynchon says in "Gravity's Rainbow" "If they get you asking the
wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers".... What a
catch-22 this Lomborg puts us in ....