permaculture - Re: Guardian article on Lomborg

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Guardian article on Lomborg
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 18:22:49 -0800

I've toured the various websites that rebut Lomborg, and think that
Souscayrous's analysis is the most cogent and promising. We can forever
debate whether species are vanishing or not; whether Lake Erie is now
cleaner or Baikal is now dying, and whether we'll find more oil or turn to
hydrogen for power. The debating game is a losing one and keeps us in an
endless cycle of Lomborg's making. We all know that most projections--from
sports scores to weather to the economy to global warming--end up wrong. The
Devil can quote scripture to his purpose, and Lomborg has ample writings to
choose from: If you torture the data long enough, they will confess.

Ask instead, Are human beings only consumers, here only to collect a lot of
toys? Does "what are you worth?" mean only "how much money do you make?" Is
the earth simply a treasure trove to be plundered? Playing Lomborg's game
answers those questions with a "yes." The question is really, what kind of
life do we want? One in which we are distracted by the candy dangling in
front of us, or one in which we try to find out what being human can be? I
know I'm preaching to the choir here, but Souscayrous has reminded me that
the real issues are larger than Lomborg's debate. Thanks for that.

Toby