permaculture - Re: plants DB - indigenious

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: 1earth permaculture <permaculture1@start.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: plants DB - indigenious
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 17:23:31 +1000

Russ wrote:
>Some non-Western cultures might want to retain their knowledge
because they see their way of life changing and knowledge being
lost... on the other hand, there could be a great benefit to making
wider use of that knowledge.

>Russ wrote:
>>> If she is proposing that it be used by non-Aboriginies, then this
would imply that some sharing of knowledge of the plant in question
take place, even on a person-by-person basis.

Bill wrote:
>I think the woman's fears are quite justafied when one looks at the
history of colonisation but one must question "Is she doing her own
tribal group a service or diservice by her stance" . ie will current
medical technology allow for the development of drugs that may cure
the illness of the centuary????

Lawrence wrote:
>So the "rest" of us have to take the blame for the Monsanto types and
be deprived of potentially lifesaving/life enhancing aboriginal
knowledge of herbal medicine?

Toby wrote:
>Context is everything, isn't it? If a drug corporation withheld
access to a new and promising medication because they might lose
control over it, we'd be screaming bloody murder. But when an
indigenous person does the same, we bow our heads in respect. Of
course she has the right to withhold her knowledge, .... Who is wise
enough to decide when unknown others are "ready" for knowledge? I
wouldn't force my point of view on her, or on anyone else, but her
actions certainly go against the precepts of caring for people and
sharing the surplus.

To all the above, I reiterate that SHE IS SHARING HER KNOWLEDGE
ACCORDING TO HER CUSTOM by word of mouth!!! She IS DOING WHAT SHE CAN
do with her limited resources, limited access to people and technology
and limited education. She doesn't have emails, can't be refered to
websites, doesn't do the lecture circuit, and has been ripped off
constantly by the "99 in 100" - she's just a simple woman with a lot
of history. You guys just want, want, want! LMAO

Marcus