permaculture - Re: plants db - indigenous

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: plants db - indigenous
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 19:36:12 +0100

> the damage was all done by local people, destroying their own trees to get
> the money paid by drug companies. I suspect the same happened in Cameroon.

same thing with sandalwood in fiji (and propably other pacific islands).
fijians have control over their land, but it isnt private property, but
collective ownership by the clan. what sounds great in a lot of respects,
can be just as bad in others: in bigger clans with less rapport and trust
between the many members, sandalwood trees have no chance to grow more than
about 10 cm in girth - then someone cuts it down and sells it, afraid that
someone else might be faster...

> Earth's wisdom is better shared than hoarded.

hugh!

happy new year, everyone who goes by this calendar!
georg