permaculture - Re: Water Ponding/Management/Keyline URL

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "darren simo" <wannafarm@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Water Ponding/Management/Keyline URL
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:28:15 +0000

Frank
Though I have read the chapter on Pasture my take is that you plow on the
contour parallel to the keyline or to some guideline. Is this so?
You actually plow slightly up to the valleys and down to the ridges, this will stop water cocentrating in the valleys and spread it evenly over all of the land.In that way Keyline plowing slows erosion and increases soil moisture on the ridges, so the ridges are no longer dry areas and become more productive.
Darren