permaculture - Re: Water Ponding/Management/Keyline URL

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Water Ponding/Management/Keyline URL
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:18:31 EST

Happy New Year to all:)

Thanks again for the URL on that Ag Library <A
HREF="http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html";>
Agriculture Library Index</A>.

I read Yeoman's book as suggested. I think I know where the keylines are but
I'm still not 100% positive. By the way there are pictures on the web site of
various farm scenes. My ground kind of looks like the hills in the background
of the picture of the dam at Nevellan.

One aspect of his book raises questions for me.

It seems that much of the thinking in conservation, etc., thinking says that
it's often best to maintain/preserve forests tracks as forest. Yeoman's
advocates clearcutting much of the hills and valleys, but recommends forested
shelter belts of sufficient size in keyline areas, etc. He seems to feel this
is the best of both world's and that to leave valleys forested is NOT the way
to go.

Also I saw a picture of a Graham plow. Very fortuitous:) I recently purchased
a 13' John Deere cultivator that looks remarkably similar. I had intended to
use it for leveling fairly ground, and cultivation. Now it seems like the
tool of choice for keyline cultivation:)

Though I have read the chapter on Pasture my take is that you plow on the
contour parallel to the keyline or to some guideline. Is this so?

He also seems to advocate filling in gullies? In my case this seems like a
big job since drains cover a few miles. I'll try and fill with debris over
time. Any other suggestions?

Best to all. Frank

Look forward to more discussion