permaculture - Re: creating online plant database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Krettler Family <krettlerfamily@bctonline.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: creating online plant database
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 07:06:09 -0800

I'm assuming that most of the plants used require little water, but I always like to know if it is a xeric-type plant or if it needs more regular watering.  Also, the kind of soil or drainage, to me, is important and whether it needs full sun or not.  We have a lot of fir trees that shade most of our yard, and if a vegetable can withstand shade during part of the day, that is a benefit to me.

Karen Krettler
Oregon City, OR

John Schinnerer wrote:
Aloha,

--- mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net> wrote:
the following categories come to mind:

common name
latin name
hardiness
uses
part used
how propagated

is there anything obvious that Im leaving out?

Careful, we'll be asking you to re-create PFAF if we generate enough
suggestions... ;-)

Complete cross-referencing of common and Latin names would be nice to
have.
Hardiness will be in degrees F and/or C?

Other thoughts, mostly for perennials:
growth pattern/rate (e.g. typ. size/shape and time to get there)
time to bearing
years of bearing
longevity
shade percentage under canopy
N-fixer or not?
Soil/nutrient preferences

OK, I'll stop now...
What technology are you using to implement the online DB?
cheers,

=====
John Schinnerer, MA