permaculture - Herb Spirals was Re: Just a few holes in the Permaculture suit?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gb0063551@cableinet.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <permaculture.forum@ntlworld.com>, <permaculture.uk@ntlworld.com>
  • Subject: Herb Spirals was Re: Just a few holes in the Permaculture suit?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:42:55 +0100

> How many of these are out there amongst those gardening for produce rather
> than
> those of us that would have to accept that their motivation is partly
> religious/missionary zeal?
>
> Mandala's, Keyholes, Herb Spirals give room for artistic flair which could
> bring them into backyards
> where food otherwise wouldn't be grown.

Hi all-

I've recently made a herb spiral at my workplace, which is a day centre for
adults with learning disabilities- whilst not convinced that it is
particularly more productive or that the theory (all the microclimates
represented in a very small space) works, aesthetically it is wonderful-
much prettier than the pile of old builders rubble and pile of old topsoil,
both sitting around seperately being not very productive, until I decided to
combine them :-)

It's not exactly low maintainance either, requiring quite a bit of weeding
and watering to keep it looking good/remove competitive volunteer plants BUT
this high maintainance aspect is a positive in this instance, as most of the
grounds where i work is designed to be low maintainance, this little
'intensive spiral corner' is a nice place where our service users can put in
some hands on work and see results in a short period of time.

I'll post up some photos when I get around to scanning 'em (also our
ginormous (4' x 6') collage of the PC designers manual cover that we did in
our art therapy group, even tho it means Uncle Bill might 'sue our
asses'...)

Cheers,

Graham Burnett
35 Rayleigh Avenue
Westcliff On Sea
Essex
SS0 7DS
NOW AVAILABLE; 'PERMACULTURE- A Beginner's Guide' £5.00 inc P&P
go to http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/landlib/flyer/ for info...

Land & Liberty http://www.landandliberty.co.uk
My artwork http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/landlibpic/
Our Garden http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/Garden/