permaculture - Re: What Bill says

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: What Bill says
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 01 12:35:14 -0000

>Permaculture is different things to different people. This is one of
>the reasons why it is so successful and has spread so quickly. This is
>also why we are asked in our PDC to define the term.
This is an important point.
I have been a little disturbed at some of the mailings on this list
putting Pc into the organic gardening box-hole as if pc were no more than
an organic garden with mulch and companion plants. This has always been a
concern and was the main reason for the Institute's policy that only PDC
holders can teach Pc.
There still seems to be confusion amongst some subscribers as to what Pc
actually is. It is primarily a design process based on a philosophy which
in turn is largely based on principles of ecology and sustainability and
as such should not be confused with some of the specific strategies and
techniques employed (which are selected from a wide range of practices
plus some unique to Pc itself). When we start defining pc by a few of
these practices in isolation we are doing pc a disservice.
I constantly encounter folk who think they're 'doing pc' because they
have mulch on their garden beds and maybe a few chickens. The absence or
presence of integrated design is what differentiates a standard organic
garden from a pc system. While gardening & food production is central to
practicing pc it is not by a long shot what pc is about. Anyone who
teaches pc as being simply herb spirals, mandala gardens and companion
planting is missing the point and misleading their students. If the
strategic thinking behind the keyhole and banana circle or herb spiral is
taught then, yes, it is pc.
My work embraces the broader concepts of bioregional planning, community
development and local economics as comfortably as growing the garden and
keeping the chickens. The philosophy and principles pervade all aspects
of lifestyle choices and have enriched my personal growth and
understanding of the earth and insights into earth spirituality.
Please - the short comings of an ill-thought attempt by 2 people to
arrest pc from the thousands of people practicing it around the world
does not mean that the system or philosophy itself has to be denigraded
or devalued.
Robyn Francis

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au