permaculture - Other Permaculture Books

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Other Permaculture Books
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:43:19 -0500

Thanks for the help on the search for the Morrow teacher's notes book.
I hope to get one of the remaining ones if there are some. It says
back in stock, but the in stock code is missing, so I have written to
inquire of the PA site.

A couple of other things I have discovered while searching for this
are that Mollison's book of The Permaculture Book of Ferment & Human Nutrition
is out of print and getting hard to find. Permaculture Activist I think has
sold out of the book if I am reading the codes on their website correctly.
However earlier this week the Hopland retail store of Real Goods had
4 copies left on their shelf. http://www.realgoods.com Mail order
warehouse is out, but the store can mail it. Their other retail stores
may have a few left as well.

There is another interesting book along these same lines of Old World
preservation techniques put out by Terre Vivante, the French organic
gardening group which also seems to use many permaculture oriented
strategies. http://www.terrevivante.org
the English translation of their book is called Keeping Food Fresh:
Old World Techniques and Recipes, 1999, 1890132101. They
show nine different ways to preserve food without the usual
sort of freezing or canning. Many specific recipes are included.

Also the 2000(2nd) edition of the Earth User's Guide to Permaculture by
Rosemary Morrow is also already out of print and getting very scarce.
Permaculture Activist has some of the 1994(1st) editions of the
book left according to the website.

I'd like to find/read more books that are compatible with permaculture
that aren't listed in the usual permaculture book lists such as the
Keeping Food Fresh book mentioned above. One I want to find
is on ecological foot prints-- the amount of land a person is actually
using in their lifestyle. The leading book on this is Mathis Wackernagel and William E. Rees, 1996. Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth. New Society Publishers, Gabriola Island, BC. For details on the book, see http://www.newsociety.com/oef.html
For a variety of info and a footprint calculator see
http://www.rprogress.org/progsum/nip/ef/ef_main.html .

What other books have you found to be useful/compatible with permaculture
that aren't officially permaculture books?

Sharon
gordonse@one.net

Permaculture Activist, PO Box 1209, Black Mountain, NC 28711
or
http://www.permacultureactivist.net

  • Other Permaculture Books, Sharon Gordon, 01/09/2001