permaculture - Re: fence posts

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fence posts
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 00 12:36:12 -0700

>toxic paints are not part of a permanent culture nor the fence posts
>surrounding one.
Nor is owning, using, or riding in a motor vehicle as we know it, I think. My
point though, and I was probably not clear in not specifically stating it,
was that *if* you use toxics, it makes sense to minimize their use by using
them in the most specific manner possible. I would not give concrete a clear
bill of health either; the energy used in production is bad enough, but I am
continually reminded of the possibility of the concrete containing fly ash
from power plants. Living fences are a grand idea; I would like to hear from
others with experience planting them.
Do note that Bill Mollison has, in my hearing, been careful to add that you
ought to wear goggles and rubber gloves when working with Euphorbia cuttings,
as seen in the Global Gardener viddy. I myself am sensitive to Euphorbias,
alhough they're not a workable option where I live. For me, Douglas hawthorne
is the preferred fencing species, and it's slow, and needs fencing to protect
it for many years while growing. Nor will it be a good gate post. I am
planting, growing and harvesting black locust posts. (coppice management of
course) And they last for years and years. But it seems that Robinia is an
invasive non-native tree here, and may soon be posted as an undesireable
weed.
While I love it dearly when things are black and white, I seem to be lost in
grey with no way out.
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Re: fence posts, rick valley, 12/21/2000