permaculture - Re: Catfish

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg <Greg@Permaculture.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Catfish
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 10:29:13 -0700

A friend of mine wants to find a new, larger home for a small nut growing
catfish that has lived in her aquarium.

I have a 12,000 gallon, smallish pond (24' x 60' x 3') with mosquito fish,
tadpoles, frogs, snails, dragonflies, and other assorted small critters.
There are also several varieties of plants like cattails, water hiacynth,
water lilly and papyrus. It is a very happy pond, clear and thriving.

Is the catfish a good addition, or what problems might I run into? I'd
appreciate hearing your opinions.

Eric Storm

Eric the first thing you need to consider is the temperature of the water. It is likely that the catfish is a tropical one and the water temperature in the continental US (I have made an assumption here) does not support the life of a tropical cat.

If the water temps are sufficient to support the life of the cat they do eat all the critters that you mentioned above. Not usually a problem for a big cat in a big pond.

The other thing about topical cats is that they get very big. Could get up to four or five feet.

If the water temps support your cat fish it probably would be a wonderful home foe him or her.

Hope this helps.

Greg

List your Permaculture Courses for free on http://www.Permaculture.net

For more information contact:

Greg Peterson
Greg@permaculture.net
602/279-3713
5515 N 7th Street
Suite 5144
Phoenix, AZ 85014

  • Re: Catfish, eric + michiko, 12/17/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Catfish, Greg, 12/17/2000