permaculture - Re: Chemical Residuals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@bellsouth.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Chemical Residuals
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:35:25 -0500

Randy,

I respectfully must disagree with Lawrence's 10 year waiting period on
chemically treated yard waste. If you subject the grass clippings to
thermophillic decomposition (above 140 F), most of the long chain molecules
will disassociate. Heavy metals will still be present, though diluted by the
total volume of organic material. Besides, what don't kill ya, will make ya
stronger.

You may want to only use herbicide and pesticide treated compost
materials on ornamental plants, as opposed to food crops. Do not let your
livestock forage through the contaminated material, to avoid bioaccumulation
of toxic compounds. It is a shame to waste valuable organic resources, but
my wife, Mindy, does insist on being picky from whom you "steal" your trash
from. If you have witnessed a recent application of toxins, wait a mowing or
two. I am a firm believer that a good hot compost pile will mitigate a
number of toxic ills.

Kevin Topek

This is from Mindy:

Most approved herbicides and pesticides are designed to breakdown to carbon
dioxide and water within three months of application. The yards using
Chem-lawn type services should be fairly safe because the companies only use
approved chemicals and there is financial incentive to use the minimum
amount of chemical per application. These services use nitrogen fertilizers
very heavily which is bad for local water quality, but not a problem for
composting. The problem with neighbors is the random redneck neighbor
(usually older) who has banned chemicals in the garage and loves to apply
them randomly and aggressively. If this sounds familiar, avoid the organic
matter from this yard altogether.

In any case, I agree with my husband (as much as it pains me). Hot compost
the material for 3 months and, when in doubt, use on ornamentals and trees.

Once the neighbors see you using their yard waste, they may become
interested in what you are doing and begin cutting back on herbicides and
pesticides. This is a good chance to increase awareness in your neighbors, b
ut this could backfire as they may begin composting themselves or allowing
their clippings to stay on the yard.

Good luck.

M.