permaculture - RE: Olive Trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "askpv" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Olive Trees
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:38:31 +1000

olives in South Australia (dryland area) are a quite a weed there, they self seed remarkably well,
in more humid regions on the east i haven't heard of self seeding.

I don't know about the quality of the fruit from seedlings,
i suspect that olives have had thousands of generations of selection
in the seed and grafting process (are they grafted? those i bought don't appear to be)
and self seeding must be discouraged in order to preserve selective breeding
efforts.
someone who could help you would be seedsavers, they are on my portal page.

If i were setting up olives in a new region I would use the seeds AND get hold of some neighbouring areas root cuttings and
then cross the two to see what i can get in terms of climate adaption and quality of the olive.

April

Permaculture Visions International.

NEWS: IPPC7 Raglan New Zealand. March 2002
join the support and information group.  To subscribe to the IPC7 list via email send a blank email to: IPC7-subscribe@egroups.com