permaculture - making a Pc living in earthworking?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mikal Jakubal <mjakubal@asis.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: making a Pc living in earthworking?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:18:15 -0700

In a previous post I wrote:

>The Cat operator was really good, but not at all familiar with this kind of
>work....The problem was that he just couldn't
>visualize what it was that I wanted... He just couldn't read my mind, and
I just couldn't draw
>him a clear enough picture.

To which Rick responded:

>Try modeling the project in sand; 3-D conceptual skills are by no means
>linked with verbal abilities.
>Pegging the contours out ahead of time, drawing, surveying, are all useful
>but take longer.

The problem with doing something like this is that even I didn't have a
perfect *picture* of the finished product in my head. What I had was a set
of "patterns" (in the sense used in the book "A Pattern Language"), desired
relationships between various landscape and built elements, and a list of
functions (such as sizing a swale to accommodate all the roof water or
making sure that this area drained this way, and that area drained to over
there). In other words, I would know it when it was done, but not really
before.

Since the operator was only familiar with the traditional "language" of
earth moving and construction, it was difficult to explain or even model
what I wanted. What occurred to me was how much easier it would be to work
with someone who was well-versed in the language of Pc, patterns and
ecological restoration. It would've saved me so much Bobcat and wheelbarrow
work if I'd just been able to say "I'm going to try keyhole beds around
these existing raised beds so leave some piles of dirt spread out around
the edge." (I couldn't get him to leave piles of dirt! He just wanted--from
habit and usual practice, I assume--to smooth everything out.)

I know of one person around here who does exactly this kind of work with a
small excavator, but he was too busy to do my project. Since I'm
desperately bored with saw milling, and I'm good with running equipment,
I've been wondering about the possibility of getting a piece of equipment
(small back hoe/loader or something) and specializing in "conscious"
earthworking. (Guess I'd have to take a Design Course to call it Pc...) The
nice thing about this--compared to, say, edible landscape design and
nursery--is that there's plenty of regular ol' construction and road
maintenance work to do if the neighbors aren't yet sold on permaculture or
pattern languages. The nice thing about it is that, having the equipment
and being able to do the work, it would be much easier to show people the
value of the concepts and convince them to give it a try. Sorta like how
you may be able to convince mainstream people that edible landscaping is a
good idea, but it's only going to really work if they don't have to go out
and try and find the plants themselves.

So, does anyone have any experience with pc-type earthworking as a
business? Has there been any past discussion or articles about it that I
could be directed to? I wonder how much demand there is already and how
much could be created through education. (The one guy I know of is way
busy.) I would imagine that established pc designers would love to have an
equipment operator with whom to work who already speaks their language and
doesn't have to be told not to hack up the trees. For me, one nice thing
about running a tractor is that while it is still hard work, it is not as
physically destructive to my body as running the mill.

Any thoughts?

Mikal